Once a smoker grill becomes part and parcel of your handy cooking implement, you will experience a whole different world of grill smoking. So, let’s walk through the process of how to use a smoker grill.
How To Use A Smoker Grill- Easy Step by Step
- Set up two temperature probes: using two (not one) temperature probes for accurate monitoring of temperature fluctuation to adjust fuel addition.
- Light charcoal in a chimney starter: when the meal reaches the point of ready to cook, just light up your charbroil smoker grill by loading it with charcoal. Use wood chunks instead of coal to add some smoke flavours and for easy control over heat management.
- Open the chamber and put coal: control oxygen through grill vent to control grill temperature. Put coals into a firebox and let it reach the desired temperature of 225 F to 250 F. Make sure to keep the firebox door closed as much as possible to avoid temperature fluctuation.
- Maintain your temperature: At this stage, adjust the temperature close the halfway for temperature or heat stability between 225 F to 250 F.
- Add wood chunks for flavour: use large wood chunks instead of wood chips at the rate of 2-3 pieces to infuse wood smoke flavour into the meat.
- Add moisture to the smoke: Now add some water or moisture by adding some water or apple juice when the meat appears dry to provide smoking flavour. So, by now, you know why do we use water for smoking in BBQ.
- Give sufficient time: Ideal barbeque takes real-time….as much as 24 hours sometimes. So, slow smoke your meat to tender and have patience, as patience holds the key to success in BBQ.
This is a straightforward step by step approach to the mastering of smoker grilling.
How to use a gas grill as smoker: Experts Tips
Now, I am going to shed some light on how to use a gas grill as a smoker. Smoking on a gas grill is an easier option for cooking meat. Some of the essential tools for that purpose are smoker box, smoking woods, and cedar plants.
Sometimes smoke box is usually embedded in the grill. So just follow the following steps to prepare an awesome grill.
- Keep in the water for 30 minutes to make it less combustible. Otherwise, it will generate more heat than needed that will ruin the cooking.
- Preheat the grill for 10 to 15 minutes and clean it by brush.
- Now take the smoker box for gas grill. Add wood chips to the smoker box using tong like long handle tools. Spread the wood chips all over the bottom of the box by dropping the wood chips into the smoker box.
- Close the lid and wait for the smoke to come out of the grill. Lower the heat of your burner to medium to a low level. Thus, you get to know how to use a smoker box on a gas grill.
- Smoke your food: Set the food in the middle of the cooking grate. Close the lid as quickly as possible. Managing this is not as simple as opening the lids or closing the lids. It merely means turning the knobs. Keep close to the smoker box where most of the smoke will be to get the best smoke flavours.
If you know the techniques of slow cooking under low temperature (225F to 250F) by using a meat thermometer over coal and wood mix, then you also know the answer to the query of can I use a normal gas grill as a smoker.
You may also like: Best grill for apartment Balcony.
How to use wood chips in a smoker- Essential Steps
Simply follow the following steps to know how to use chips in a smoker:
- Pick the wood chips. (cherry, hickory)
- Put them inside the smoker box for gas grill.
- Light up the fire and keep the smoker box on the grill.
- Let the chips create smoke and wait until then.
- Put the meat upon the grill and cook it.
SMOKING vs. GRILLING: Differences
A plethora of questions may arise in mind regarding what is the difference between smoking and barbeque. Smoking is done at low temperatures (126F to 176F) for a long time for large food. BBQ, on the other hand, is known for low heat (190Fto 300F) for a few hours.
Besides, the technique also provides answers to the question of can I use a normal grill as smoker.
Yet, another extremely pertinent query along with How to use a smoker grill might be: is it safe to light a charcoal grill with kerosene. The answer is NO. Kerosene is highly combustible, and the grill may explode. NEVER DO IT.[related_posts_by_tax posts_per_page="4"]